Sweden highway pileup kills 3 people as dozens of vehicles smash together on slippery, foggy bridge
StockholmPolice say a highway pileup involving dozens of cars and trucks has killed at least three people and injured about 20 in southern Sweden.
Police spokeswoman Eva-Lotta Hermansson Truedsson says at least two rescue vehicles were among the 45-50 cars and trucks that crashed Tuesday on a highway bridge northeast of the city of Helsingborg.
The cause had not been established, but Hermansson Truedsson said the roadway was slippery and visibility was reduced due to fog.
Such pileups are relatively rare in Sweden, which has some of the safest roads in Europe, according to EU statistics.
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 19 Photos
- Widespread protests in Brazil 23 Photos
- Celebration and devotion in India 14 Photos
- One of FBI's Ten Most Wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Afghan gov't halts talks with U.S. on security pact
- Somali militants wage deadly attack on U.N. office
- Rare twin birth for gorilla in Dutch zoo Play Video
- Brazil protesters flood Sao Paulo streets for 2nd night