Hundreds of guitarists play "Imagine" for India rape victim
Some 600 guitarists play John Lennon's "Imagine" in a memorial tribute to a 23-year-old Indian gang rape victim during a mass guitar ensemble in Darjeeling, India, Jan. 3, 2013. / AFP/Getty Images
Last month's brutal rape of a university student in India prompted hundreds of guitarists at a music festival in the Indian town of Darjeeling to memorialize her by playing John Lennon's "Imagine."
The student, whose name has not been publicly disclosed, died in Singapore last weekend from her injuries after the Dec. 16 attack on a bus in New Delhi.
The roughly 600 musicians played Thursday's song because they wanted to show support for the victim's family, Darjeeling Tourism Secretary Sonam Bhutia, one of the festival's organizers, told the Agence France-Presse news service.
"We chose this song because it talks about hope, peace and promise," Bhutia told AFP.
- India's top cop urges "iron hand" rape crackdown
- Five charged with murder in India gang rape
- India may suspend lawmakers facing sex assault charges
Five men have been charged with murder and rape and face the death penalty if convicted. Also, a 17-year-old boy was expected to be tried in a juvenile court.
A hearing for the five charged men was expected to be held Saturday.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Iran hangs alleged U.S., Israeli spies
- Photos of the Week 21 Photos
- North Korea fires short-range missiles for second day
- Two imprisoned over killing Malcolm X's grandson
- Assad: Syria transition talks are internal matter
- Afghanistan to ask India for military aid
- S. Korea: N. Korea launches short-range missiles
- Drone technology myths, facts and future feats