22 killed in escape bid at Mexican prison
MEXICO CITY A public security official says the death toll in a shootout during an attempted prison break in northern Mexico has risen to 22 people.
The official in Durango state says that the toll rose to 13 inmates and nine prison guards as some of the injured in the shooting later died of their wounds.
The official who updated the death toll Wednesday was not authorized to speak on the record.
Guards foiled a massive escape on Tuesday at the prison in Gomez Palacio city.
A statement from the public safety department says inmates tried to climb the prison's back walls. When guards fired into the air to stop them, inmates returned fire at the watchtowers and guard areas. Authorities said Wednesday they investigating how the inmates acquired the guns.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Visitors evacuate after suicide at Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral
- Boat hijack stokes tension between N. Korea, China
- Egypt troops in Sinai sweep mistakenly hit funeral
- China probes rice tainted with cancer-causing cadmium
- Hezbollah suffers heavy losses fighting inside Syria
- Lebanon reportedly stopping Syria refugees at border
- Russia shows accused U.S. spy heading home
- Egypt TV: 7 security personnel kidnapped in Sinai freed