At least 13 dead in Pakistan from toxic cough syrup
LAHORE, Pakistan At least thirteen people in Pakistan have died after drinking a tainted cough syrup in attempt to get high, police said Monday.
The victims were all drug addicts, police officer Multan Khan added.
Khan said they died at various hospitals in the eastern city of Lahore over the past three days. Five other addicts who drank the cough syrup were being treated.
According to UPI, government officials have collected all the remaining stock, and the factory where the medicine was being manufactured has been closed.
The BBC reports that the medication was not expired. Doctors also told the BBC that the people who died may have added additional substances to the syrup to increase the high.
Police arrested the owners of three drug stores where the cough syrup was sold and sent a sample to determine whether it was toxic, said Khan.
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- Basement living in China 6 Photos
- 50th Paris Air Show 13 Photos
- Italy top court cites "erotic game" hypothesis in Knox case
- Widespread protests in Brazil 22 Photos
- 100,000 line streets of Brazil to protest corruption
- Torrential rain devastates Northern India 15 Photos
- Hungary indicts 98-year-old for Nazi war crimes
- Reports that Turkish cops arresting protest suspects