NATO: Turkey wants use of air defense missiles amid worries over Syria
Turkish military station at the border gate with Syria, across from Syrian rebel-controlled Tel Abyad town, in Akcakale, Turkey, Oct. 7, 2012. / AP Photo, File
BRUSSELS Turkey's government requested the deployment of NATO's Patriot surface-to-air missiles Wednesday to bolster its defenses along its border with Syria.
Any deployment of NATO forces needs the approval of the alliance's governing body, the North Atlantic Council. But this is seen as a formality since NATO has already said it has plans in place to protect Turkey from a spillover of Syria's civil war.
- Wider war feared between Turkey and Syria
- Turkey exchanges fire with Syria again
"Allies will discuss this without delay," NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said on Twitter. He said the deployment would augment alliance member Turkey's air defense capabilities and "would contribute to the de-escalation of the crisis along NATO's southeastern border."
Turkey has openly sided with the rebels in Syria's conflict, though so far it hasn't intervened directly. CBS News correspondent Holly Williams reported last month that some fear that border skirmishes between the two countries could escalate into a regional war.
Fogh Rasmussen also noted that the deployment of the U.S.-built Patriots wouldn't mean imposing a no-fly zone over Syrian territory, a key demand of Syrian opposition groups. NATO has installed anti-aircraft batteries in Turkey twice before, during the 1991 and 2003 Iraq wars. They were never used and were removed a few months later.
In Ankara, Turkey's government said in a statement that "in face of the threats and risks posed to our national security by the ongoing crisis in Syria ... it has been decided to formally request from NATO that our national air defense be reinforced with the support of allied air defense elements."
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said he had told the German ambassador to Turkey "to receive positively such a request." Westerwelle says "it would be a serious mistake if we were to refuse defensive support to a NATO member country in a moment when this member country feels that it is exposed to attacks from outside."
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 13 Photos
- Italy top court cites "erotic game" hypothesis in Knox case
- Widespread protests in Brazil 23 Photos
- Basement living in China 6 Photos
- Torrential rain devastates Northern India 15 Photos
- Hungary indicts 98-year-old for Nazi war crimes
- 100,000 line streets of Brazil to protest corruption
- Protesters clash with Brazil police in Sao Paulo