China: Ring made, sold almost 1M fake luxury bags
BEIJING Police in China have arrested 73 people suspected of manufacturing and selling almost 1 million fake luxury bags.
The Ministry of Public Security says police seized more than 20,000 fake Louis Vuitton, Hermes and Coach bags and closed 37 sites where the forgery ring made or sold the bags. Police say the ring sold more than 960,000 bags and exported many to the United States and Middle East.
The ministry said Sunday that police in southern Guangdong province uncovered the forgery ring in January and that Chinese agents worked with U.S. customs and immigration officials in the case.
It said authorities seized assets worth $800 million, including unsold counterfeit goods, production equipment and bank accounts.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- British flower show in full bloom 16 Photos
- Boat hijack stokes tension between N. Korea, China
- China probes rice tainted with cancer-causing cadmium
- Hezbollah suffers heavy losses fighting inside Syria
- Israel and Syria exchange fire on Golan Heights
- Lebanon reportedly stopping Syria refugees at border
- Syria activists: 31 Hezbollah fighters killed in Qusair
- Russia shows accused U.S. spy heading home