China: Ring made, sold almost 1M fake luxury bags
BEIJING Police in China have arrested 73 people suspected of manufacturing and selling almost 1 million fake luxury bags.
The Ministry of Public Security says police seized more than 20,000 fake Louis Vuitton, Hermes and Coach bags and closed 37 sites where the forgery ring made or sold the bags. Police say the ring sold more than 960,000 bags and exported many to the United States and Middle East.
The ministry said Sunday that police in southern Guangdong province uncovered the forgery ring in January and that Chinese agents worked with U.S. customs and immigration officials in the case.
It said authorities seized assets worth $800 million, including unsold counterfeit goods, production equipment and bank accounts.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack 169 Comments
- Who were the 4 U.S. citizens killed in drone strikes?
- Mexican volcano on verge of eruption 15 Photos
- People cling to car in "sidewalk skiing" stunt Play Video
- Graphic video: Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack Play Video
- N. Korea sends top envoy to China as tensions mount
- Volcano's rumbles may signal coming to life Play Video
- Costa Concordia captain ordered to stand trial