China: Ring made, sold almost 1M fake luxury bags
BEIJING Police in China have arrested 73 people suspected of manufacturing and selling almost 1 million fake luxury bags.
The Ministry of Public Security says police seized more than 20,000 fake Louis Vuitton, Hermes and Coach bags and closed 37 sites where the forgery ring made or sold the bags. Police say the ring sold more than 960,000 bags and exported many to the United States and Middle East.
The ministry said Sunday that police in southern Guangdong province uncovered the forgery ring in January and that Chinese agents worked with U.S. customs and immigration officials in the case.
It said authorities seized assets worth $800 million, including unsold counterfeit goods, production equipment and bank accounts.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Toronto mayor: I don't smoke crack cocaine
- Photos of the week 22 Photos
- 2 men from diverted Pakistani flight into U.K. arrested
- Graphic video: Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack Play Video
- Bangladesh slum life 13 Photos
- Deadly car bombing at aid group's house in Kabul
- Muslim hard-liners ID suspect in London attack
- Tokyo's rockabilly scene 16 Photos