After attack on jeep, Israeli army kills 4 in Gaza
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip Officials and witnesses say Palestinian militants fired an anti-tank missile at an Israeli jeep patrolling the border with Gaza and the Israelis fired back into the Palestinian territory, killing four civilians.
Israel's military says four of its soldiers were wounded in the missile attack Saturday, one of them seriously. A Gaza health ministry spokesman says all four Palestinians killed were civilians between the ages of 16 and 18 and that among the 25 wounded were some children.
The military wing of the leftist Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine took responsibility but it still remains unclear who in fact was behind the attack.
Later in the day, the military says some 25 Palestinian rockets rained on southern Israel, though they caused no injuries or damage, It says at least one of the projectiles was intercepted by the "Iron Dome" missile defense system.
Palestinian officials say an Israeli airstrike later killed one Islamic Jihad militant and wounded two others.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Photos of the week 22 Photos
- Graphic video: Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack Play Video
- Bangladesh slum life 13 Photos
- London brutal attack probe nets additional arrests
- Inside a Bangladesh garment factory 10 Photos
- Toronto mayor: I don't smoke crack cocaine
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president