After attack on jeep, Israeli army kills 4 in Gaza
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip Officials and witnesses say Palestinian militants fired an anti-tank missile at an Israeli jeep patrolling the border with Gaza and the Israelis fired back into the Palestinian territory, killing four civilians.
Israel's military says four of its soldiers were wounded in the missile attack Saturday, one of them seriously. A Gaza health ministry spokesman says all four Palestinians killed were civilians between the ages of 16 and 18 and that among the 25 wounded were some children.
The military wing of the leftist Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine took responsibility but it still remains unclear who in fact was behind the attack.
Later in the day, the military says some 25 Palestinian rockets rained on southern Israel, though they caused no injuries or damage, It says at least one of the projectiles was intercepted by the "Iron Dome" missile defense system.
Palestinian officials say an Israeli airstrike later killed one Islamic Jihad militant and wounded two others.
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 19 Photos
- Widespread protests in Brazil 23 Photos
- Celebration and devotion in India 14 Photos
- Somali militants wage deadly attack on U.N. office
- One of FBI's Ten Most Wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Rare twin birth for gorilla in Dutch zoo Play Video
- Afghan gov't halts talks with U.S. on security pact
- Brazil protesters flood Sao Paulo streets for 2nd night