Magnitude-5.8 quake strikes off western Canada
GOLDEN, Colorado A magnitude-5.8 earthquake has struck off the coast of western Canada and a tsunami warning has been issued. There are no immediate reports of damage.
The U.S. Geological Survey says the quake hit at 11:14 p.m. Sunday local time and was centered 96 miles south of Masset, British Columbia.
The tsunami warning is in effect for the coastal areas of British Columbia and Alaska from the northern tip of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, to Cape Decision, Alaska, 85 miles southeast of Sitka.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Boat hijack stokes tension between N. Korea, China
- China probes rice tainted with cancer-causing cadmium
- Visitors evacuate after suicide at Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral
- Lebanon reportedly stopping Syria refugees at border
- Hezbollah suffers heavy losses fighting inside Syria
- Syria activists: 31 Hezbollah fighters killed in Qusair
- Russia shows accused U.S. spy heading home
- Israel and Syria exchange fire on Golan Heights