Cow facing slaughter kills Eid celebrant
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip A Gaza health official says that a panicking cow has killed a Palestinian man who was trying to slaughter the beast during the Muslim celebration of Eid al-Adha.
Muslims around the world slaughter sheep, cows and goats during the four-day holiday to commemorate the sacrifice by their forefather Abraham. But accidents are common as people frequently buy animals to slaughter at home instead of relying on professional butchers.
Official Ashraf al-Kidra said Saturday that another 150 more people were hospitalized in Gaza with knife wounds or other injuries caused by animals attacking butchers or bystanders.
In Gaza, impoverished families scrimp all year to pay for part of a sheep or cow. Many also distribute the meat to even poorer families, giving the celebration a sense of communal solidarity.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- U.K. police announce new leads in missing girl case
- S. Korea: N. Korea launches short-range missiles
- Photos of the Week 21 Photos
- Plane catches fire landing in Moscow
- Plane catches fire on Moscow runway Play Video
- Drone technology myths, facts and future feats
- Dramatic video appears to show 747 crash in Afghanistan
- Russia: CIA spy arrested in Moscow