Pentagon aiding probe of alleged rape of Okinawa woman by two U.S. sailors
Some 50 civic group members hold banners protesting alleged rape of local woman by two U.S. servicemen in Okinawa / YOSHIKAZU TSUNO/AFP/Getty Images
TOKYO The U.S. military is cooperating with Japanese police investigating allegations that two U.S. sailors raped a woman on Okinawa.
The incident has sparked protests from the Japanese government and an outcry on Okinawa, which hosts more than half the 47,000 U.S. troops in Japan.
Cmdr. Kenneth Marshall, a spokesman for the U.S. Navy in Japan, said military authorities are cooperating with and supporting the investigation by Okinawan police, who on Tuesday arrested the two sailors accused of raping the woman. Police have handed over the investigation to prosecutors to decide whether to press formal charges.
Marshall says the Naval Criminal Investigative Service has also launched its own investigation, although Japan has primary jurisdiction.
The suspects, Seaman Christopher Browning and Petty Officer 3rd Class Skyler Dozierwalker, of Joint Naval Air Station, Fort Worth, Texas, were on Okinawa on a brief stopover, the Pentagon says.
- Japan decries alleged rape by U.S. troops
- U.S. sailors arrested in alleged rape in Japan
- U.S. to remove 9,000 Marines from Okinawa
According to Japanese media, they had been drinking before they attacked the woman, in her 20s, who was on her way home before dawn Tuesday.
Browning and Dozierwalker are both 23 and enlisted in 2008. They were assigned to the Fort Worth base the same year. Base spokesman Don Ray declined to comment on the men's arrests.
The arrests led to immediate anger on Okinawa, which recently saw massive protests against plans to deploy the Marine Corps' MV-22 Osprey to a base there, because of safety concerns.
Japan's defense minister said he was deeply concerned about the allegations and suggested the U.S. take more measures to prevent such attacks.
"This is a very serious crime," Defense Minister Satoshi Morimoto told reporters Wednesday.
Morimoto said the case follows another sexual assault in August, and he indicated he was considering discussing the matter with U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.
Okinawa Gov. Kazuhiro Nakaima, who has been in Tokyo since earlier this week, said the United States should worry about the consequences of repeated crime by U.S. servicemen on the island, where people already resent their presence.
"It could damage Japan-U.S. security alliance unless there is dramatic improvement," Nakaima said. "We want the U.S. government and its military to take measures that are far severer than a disciplinary measure or something lenient like that."
Tensions between the U.S. military and their Okinawan hosts are endemic, and base-related crimes are a particularly sensitive issue.
Local opposition to the U.S. bases over noise, safety concerns and crime flared into mass protests after the 1995 rape of a schoolgirl by three American servicemen. That outcry eventually led to an agreement to close a major Marine airfield, but that plan has stalled for more than a decade over where a replacement facility should be located.
Concerned that anti-base sentiment on Okinawa could swell, Vice Foreign Minister Shuji Kira lodged a protest with U.S. Ambassador John Roos, who promised full cooperation with the investigation.
"The United States government is extremely concerned by recent allegations of misconduct by two individual United States service members," Roos said in a statement. "We are committed to cooperating fully with the Japanese authorities in their investigation. ... These allegations, given their seriousness, will continue to command my full personal attention."
He said he understands the anger in Okinawa and the rest of Japan and promised to "work our hearts out to earn the trust of the Okinawan people and the people of Japan."
Okinawa prefectural spokesman Susumu Matayoshi said the suspected rape "shocked all Okinawans and is unforgivable."
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 19 Photos
- Widespread protests in Brazil 23 Photos
- Celebration and devotion in India 14 Photos
- One of FBI's Ten Most Wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Afghan gov't halts talks with U.S. on security pact
- Somali militants wage deadly attack on U.N. office
- Rare twin birth for gorilla in Dutch zoo Play Video
- Brazil protesters flood Sao Paulo streets for 2nd night