NATO: Afghan drawdown by end of 2014 still our goal
Afghan National Police line up after the official ceremony to take down the flag at the end of the day at their base in Lashkar Gah, Helmand, Afghanistan, Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012. In eastern Afghanistan a suicide car bomber blew up his vehicle near the gate of a U.S.- Afghan combat outpost Wednesday, wounding at least 10 Afghan soldiers. / AP Photo/Anja Niedringhaus
KABUL, Afghanistan NATO's top official said Thursday the alliance remains committed to help enable Afghan forces to assume full responsibility for the country's security after 2014, when coalition troops are due to end their combat mission.
The statement by visiting Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen comes amid speculation that the U.S.-led alliance could accelerate its withdrawal plans.
"Our goal is that Afghanistan will be able to stand on its own feet, but Afghanistan will not stand alone," Fogh Rasmussen said.
NATO's governing body, the North Atlantic Council, was visiting Kabul for meetings with President Hamid Karzai, coalition military commander Gen. John Allen and commanders of the Afghan government's forces.
The military alliance has also agreed to offer a smaller, post-2014 mission to help the Afghan forces with training, advice and assistance.
- Panetta calls on NATO to "fill the gap" in training Afghanistan's national defense forces
- Last of U.S. surge troops out of Afghanistan
- NATO: Afghan drawdown unaffected by ops change
The strategy agreed to among NATO, its partners and Karzai's government is meant to enable the Afghans to take over the war against the Taliban and other insurgents by the end of 2014.
NATO started drawing down its forces earlier this year. It currently has 104,000 troops in Afghanistan 68,000 of them Americans down from 140,000 the alliance had here in 2011.
Polls show the 11-year war remains deeply unpopular among NATO's 28 member states, most of which are cutting defense budgets at a time of austerity caused by financial crises. There have been calls in the United States and elsewhere to accelerate the drawdown plan.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- "Truly shocking" London attack leaves 1 dead, 2 injured
- N. Korea sends top envoy to China as tensions mount
- 12 years post-Taliban, Afghan women's rights under fire
- Visitors evacuate after suicide at Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral
- Costa Concordia captain ordered to stand trial
- Octogenarians in race to summit Mt. Everest
- People cling to car in "sidewalk skiing" stunt Play Video
- Egypt TV: 7 security personnel kidnapped in Sinai freed