France cops find bomb-making material in Paris parking lot linked to alleged terror cell
Policemen take part in a search of lock-up garages possibly used by people arrested during an anti-terror operation, Oct. 9, 2012, in Torcy, outside Paris. / Getty
PARIS French police who broke up a suspected terrorist cell have discovered bomb-making material in an enclosed parking lot in suburban Paris, the state prosecutor said Wednesday.
Francois Molins said police investigators recovered items including potassium, sulfur, saltpeter and a pressure cooker as well as two weapons in the lot in the town of Torcy, east of Paris.
They were led there by information from interrogations carried out since the arrest of a dozen suspects in cities across France at the weekend, he said, adding that authorities are extending the detention of the suspects for 24 hours beyond the normal limit of 96 hours because of the seriousness of the case.
- 1 dead, 7 arrested in French anti-terror sweep
- Toulouse gunman not quite the lone wolf?
- Spain arrests al Qaeda suspects who practiced flying
"We can say that we are clearly and objectively facing an extremely dangerous terrorist cell," Molins said. He added that it was only the second time since 2006 that the law allowing the extension of custody in such circumstances had been invoked.
The weekend arrests during which one suspect was killed by police who returned fire after he shot at them were put in motion by evidence gathered following the firebombing of a kosher grocery story in suburban Paris in September.
Police found weapons, cash and a list of Paris-area Israeli associations during the raids.
It remains uncertain whether those suspected of directly carrying out the grocery store attack have actually been apprehended.
Molins said at the time that all the arrested suspects were French and recent converts to Islam. Four of the men involved in the raid had written wills. One was carrying a loaded gun when arrested.
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 13 Photos
- Italy top court cites "erotic game" hypothesis in Knox case
- Torrential rain devastates Northern India 15 Photos
- Widespread protests in Brazil 23 Photos
- Basement living in China 6 Photos
- Hungary indicts 98-year-old for Nazi war crimes
- Egypt and Ethiopia try to roll back threats of war
- Protesters clash with Brazil police in Sao Paulo