Report: Van der Sloot gets woman pregnant
June 2010 file photo shows Joran van der Sloot being escorted by police outside Peruvian police station / AP Photo/Karel Navarro, File
AMSTERDAM A Dutch newspaper says Joran van der Sloot, who is serving a 28-year-sentence for murdering a young Peruvian woman, has impregnated a woman while imprisoned in Lima.
De Telegraaf newspaper on Monday cited Van der Sloot's lawyer, Maximo Altes, as saying the pregnancy is past its third month, and Van der Sloot himself as confirming the news in a telephone call.
The woman, identified by the paper only as "Leidi," was said to have become pregnant during an unsupervised visit with Van der Sloot.
Van der Sloot was convicted for robbing and killing Stephany Flores in 2010.
He is also wanted in the U.S. in connection with the disappearance of teenager Natalee Holloway in Aruba in 2005.
He could resist extradition if he obtains Peruvian nationality.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- British flower show in full bloom 16 Photos
- Iran hangs alleged U.S., Israeli spies
- Hezbollah suffers heavy losses fighting inside Syria
- Some Swedish youth riot over police shooting death
- Russia shows accused U.S. spy heading home
- Bungled bank heist in Israel leaves gunman, 4 more dead
- N. Korea fires 6th projectile into sea
- Two imprisoned over killing Malcolm X's grandson