Report: Van der Sloot gets woman pregnant
June 2010 file photo shows Joran van der Sloot being escorted by police outside Peruvian police station / AP Photo/Karel Navarro, File
AMSTERDAM A Dutch newspaper says Joran van der Sloot, who is serving a 28-year-sentence for murdering a young Peruvian woman, has impregnated a woman while imprisoned in Lima.
De Telegraaf newspaper on Monday cited Van der Sloot's lawyer, Maximo Altes, as saying the pregnancy is past its third month, and Van der Sloot himself as confirming the news in a telephone call.
The woman, identified by the paper only as "Leidi," was said to have become pregnant during an unsupervised visit with Van der Sloot.
Van der Sloot was convicted for robbing and killing Stephany Flores in 2010.
He is also wanted in the U.S. in connection with the disappearance of teenager Natalee Holloway in Aruba in 2005.
He could resist extradition if he obtains Peruvian nationality.
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 19 Photos
- Widespread protests in Brazil 23 Photos
- Celebration and devotion in India 14 Photos
- One of FBI's Ten Most Wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Afghan gov't halts talks with U.S. on security pact
- Somali militants wage deadly attack on U.N. office
- Torrential rain devastates Northern India 15 Photos
- Brazil protesters flood Sao Paulo streets for 2nd night