China daycare ax attack leaves 3 dead, 13 hurt
MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images
(AP) BEIJING - A man with an ax attacked children at a daycare center in southwestern China, killing three and injuring 13 others.
The official Xinhua News Agency said the man in Guangxi province burst into the center Friday afternoon and attacked the children with his ax.
A police officer in Pingnan county where the attack happened says the assailant has been caught. The officer would only give his surname, Lin, and said he did not have any other details.
China has experienced a string of rampage attacks at schools, retirement homes and on city streets that have left dozens dead and scores more wounded since the start of 2010.
The attacks have prompted calls for more attention to mental illnesses and concern over rising stress in Chinese society.
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 19 Photos
- Celebration and devotion in India 14 Photos
- Rare twin birth for gorilla in Dutch zoo Play Video
- Somali militants wage deadly attack on U.N. office
- One of FBI's Ten Most Wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Afghan gov't halts talks with U.S. on security pact
- John Paul II a step closer to sainthood
- Brazil protesters flood Sao Paulo streets for 2nd night