Iraq: Gunmen kill 7 Shiites in targeted attack
(AP) BAGHDAD - Iraqi officials say gunmen on motorcycles killed seven Shiite Muslims in a targeted sectarian attack in the north of the country.
Tuz Khormato mayor Shalal Abdoul says Saturday's attack happened outside the Shiite Turkoman village of Amerili, which is near his town. He says the attackers executed the Shiites after separating them from Sunni Arabs, whom they allowed to go free.
Tuz Khormato is about 210 kilometers (130 miles) north of Baghdad. Tuz Khormato police Capt. Mazin Abdullah confirmed the attack.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- British flower show in full bloom 16 Photos
- Iran hangs alleged U.S., Israeli spies
- Hezbollah suffers heavy losses fighting inside Syria
- Russia shows accused U.S. spy heading home
- Bungled bank heist in Israel leaves gunman, 4 more dead
- Some Swedish youth riot over police shooting death
- N. Korea fires 6th projectile into sea
- Two imprisoned over killing Malcolm X's grandson