Olympic bus hits, kills cyclist near stadium
Fireworks illuminate the sky during the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium on July 27, 2012 in London, England. / Ryan Pierse/Getty Images
(AP) LONDON - London's Metropolitan Police say an Olympics bus has hit and killed a bicyclist near the Olympic Park in east London, an accident that required authorities to halt bus transportation in and out of the park.
Police say the 30-year-old cyclist was pronounced dead Wednesday about 30 minutes after the 7:45 p.m. accident on Ruckholt Road in east London about 1 mile (1.5 kilometers) north of the Olympic Stadium.
Ambulance units including a helicopter-borne unit tried to save the man.
The police say no one aboard the bus was reported injured and nobody has been arrested. The police force has launched an investigation into what caused the collision.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Mexico's drug war 20 Photos
- U.K. official: London attack suspects probed before
- London soldier slaying homegrown Islamic extremism?
- Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack 230 Comments
- Graphic video: Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack Play Video
- Who were the 4 U.S. citizens killed in drone strikes? 89 Comments
- Mexican volcano on verge of eruption 15 Photos
- Man, 80, becomes oldest to climb to top of Mount Everest