Olympic bus hits, kills cyclist near stadium
Fireworks illuminate the sky during the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium on July 27, 2012 in London, England. / Ryan Pierse/Getty Images
(AP) LONDON - London's Metropolitan Police say an Olympics bus has hit and killed a bicyclist near the Olympic Park in east London, an accident that required authorities to halt bus transportation in and out of the park.
Police say the 30-year-old cyclist was pronounced dead Wednesday about 30 minutes after the 7:45 p.m. accident on Ruckholt Road in east London about 1 mile (1.5 kilometers) north of the Olympic Stadium.
Ambulance units including a helicopter-borne unit tried to save the man.
The police say no one aboard the bus was reported injured and nobody has been arrested. The police force has launched an investigation into what caused the collision.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack; terrorism suspected
- N. Korea sends top envoy to China as tensions mount
- 12 years post-Taliban, Afghan women's rights under fire
- Costa Concordia captain ordered to stand trial
- Mexican volcano on verge of eruption 15 Photos
- Visitors evacuate after suicide at Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral
- People cling to car in "sidewalk skiing" stunt Play Video
- Octogenarians in race to summit Mt. Everest