Strong quake hits off east coast of New Zealand
(AP) WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A strong earthquake has struck off the east coast of New Zealand, but there were no immediate reports of any injuries or damage.
The U.S. Geological Survey says the magnitude-5.8 temblor struck Saturday off the east coast of the North Island at a depth of 20 kilometers (12 miles).
New Zealand is prone to earthquakes. In February 2011, a strong quake in Christchurch killed 185 people and destroyed much of the city's downtown area.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Photos of the week 22 Photos
- Graphic video: Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack Play Video
- Bangladesh slum life 13 Photos
- Toronto mayor: I don't smoke crack cocaine
- Inside a Bangladesh garment factory 10 Photos
- London brutal attack probe nets additional arrests
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Tokyo's rockabilly scene 16 Photos