Police: Man jumps to death off Eiffel Tower
(AP) PARIS - Paris police say that a 25-year-old man thwarted security measures and climbed the Eiffel Tower before jumping from the landmark to his death.
A police official says the man climbed the tower's western pillar after it was closed to the public, and was approaching the third and highest level when rescue climbers made it to the scene. They tried to talk to him but he jumped instead, landed on the tower's second floor and died soon after midnight Monday, the official said.
The official was not authorized to be publicly named because of police policy.
The tower was open as usual Monday after the incident. The company that manages the 324-meter tower says it was the first suicide on the tower in two years.
The man's identity was not disclosed.
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 13 Photos
- Widespread protests in Brazil 23 Photos
- Italy top court cites "erotic game" hypothesis in Knox case 84 Comments
- Torrential rain devastates Northern India 15 Photos
- One of FBI's Ten Most Wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Egypt and Ethiopia try to roll back threats of war
- Protesters clash with Brazil police in Sao Paulo
- Basement living in China 6 Photos