Ratko Mladic war crimes, genocide trial halted over prosecution errors
In this video image taken from ICTY video former Bosnian Serb military commander Gen. Ratko Mladic is seen on the second day of his trial at the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands, May 17, 2012. / AP/Pool
(AP) THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The presiding judge in the U.N. trial of Gen. Ratko Mladic has delayed indefinitely the presentation of evidence that had been scheduled to start later this month due to "errors" by prosecutors in disclosing evidence to defense lawyers.
Alphons Orie said Thursday he was delaying the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal case due to "significant disclosure errors" by prosecutors who are obliged to share all their evidence with Mladic's defense team.
He says judges are still analyzing the "scope and full impact" of the error.
He says he aims to establish a new starting date "as soon as possible."
Prosecutors already had admitted the errors and did not object to a delay in the trial. Mladic's attorney has asked for a six-month delay.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- U.K. police announce new leads in missing girl case
- S. Korea: N. Korea launches short-range missiles
- Photos of the Week 21 Photos
- Plane catches fire landing in Moscow
- Plane catches fire on Moscow runway Play Video
- Drone technology myths, facts and future feats
- Dramatic video appears to show 747 crash in Afghanistan
- Russia strikes back after expelling alleged U.S. spy