Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital
An undated photo of former South African President and anti-Apartheid activist Nelson Mandela. / CBS
JOHANNESBURG - A spokesman South Africa's president said Nelson Mandela has been released from the hospital.
A convoy of official cars was seen leaving Pretoria's military hospital Sunday.
The former South African President underwent minor surgery to determine the cause of a stomach complaint and the 93-year-old "is as fine as can be at his age," South Africa's defense minister said Sunday.
Lindiwe Sisulu told reporters in Cape Town that Mandela had undergone a laparoscopy on Saturday, according to the South African Press Association.
"It is not the kind of surgery you are thinking about. It's noninvasive, but nonetheless investigative," Sisulu was quoted as saying.
Surgeons make an incision in the belly to insert a thin, lighted tube to look at abdominal organs during laparoscopy.
The military took charge of Mandela's health care after he spent several days in a private hospital last year with a respiratory infection. Officials have not disclosed where he is being treated this time to protect his privacy.
South African President Jacob Zuma released a statement Sunday saying Mandela had a good night's rest in the hospital.
"He is surrounded by his family and is relaxed and comfortable. The doctors are happy with the progress he is making," Zuma said.
"The doctors have assured us that there is nothing to worry about and that Madiba is in good health," added Zuma, referring to Mandela by his clan name.
Mandela, a Nobel peace laureate who spent 27 years in prison for fighting racist white rule, became South Africa's first black president in 1994 and served one five-year term. He has officially retired and last appeared in public in July 2010.
On Sunday, well-wishers prayed for Mandela at Regina Mundi church in Soweto, a former center of anti-apartheid protests and funerals.
In 1997, Mandela spoke at the church, calling it a "battlefield between forces of democracy and those who did not hesitate to violate a place of religion with tear gas, dogs and guns."
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 19 Photos
- Widespread protests in Brazil 23 Photos
- Celebration and devotion in India 14 Photos
- One of FBI's Ten Most Wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Afghan gov't halts talks with U.S. on security pact
- Somali militants wage deadly attack on U.N. office
- Rare twin birth for gorilla in Dutch zoo Play Video
- Brazil protesters flood Sao Paulo streets for 2nd night