Toxic bootleg brew kills 22 people in India
A villager cries with the children of his brother, who died from the liquor, in Cuttack district, India on Feb. 8, 2012. / AP Photo/Biswaranjan Rout
BHUBANESWAR, India - Officials say at least 22 people have died and more are sick after drinking toxic bootleg liquor made from cough medicine in eastern India.
A hospital administrator in Orissa state said the farm laborers fell ill in the past two days after drinking the brew. Bhubananda Maharana also said Wednesday that another 31 workers were being treated for symptoms of liquor poisoning.
India's poor often buy cheap bootleg liquor made of syrups and medicines that are spiked with methyl alcohol and other industrial spirits to give it a kick.
Orissa's top elected official has ordered an inquiry.
Government spokesman S.K. Panda also said two pharmaceutical companies that produced the cough medicine have been sealed.
Popular on CBSNews.com
One year after Afghan massacre, villagers work with U.S. troops One year after U.S. Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians, the villagers in the town where the atrocity took place have joined the U.S. special forces stationed there to assist in the fight against the Taliban.
- 50th Paris Air Show 13 Photos
- Widespread protests in Brazil 23 Photos
- Italy top court cites "erotic game" hypothesis in Knox case 84 Comments
- Torrential rain devastates Northern India 15 Photos
- Egypt and Ethiopia try to roll back threats of war
- Protesters clash with Brazil police in Sao Paulo
- One of FBI's Ten Most Wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Basement living in China 6 Photos