High school athlete dies after being hit by discus
HEREFORD, Texas A Texas high school freshman athlete has died after being hit in the hip by a flying discus.
Joshua Ramirez, 15, died Sunday at Hereford Regional Medical Center, according to a statement issued by the Hereford Independent School District.
"Hereford ISD is deeply saddened at this loss. We understand that Joshua was a great kid in and out of the classroom," the statement read. "Staff and students alike are heart broken for the Ramirez family and our loss of a student and friend."
According to the school district, Ramirez was stretching for an event in Plainview on March 8 when the discus hit him. A district athletic trainer advised him to treat it with ice and report any worsening, CBS Houston reported.
"He never complained. He was that kind of kid," family friend Saul Tarango told KAMR-TV.
Jesse Ramirez says his nephew went to the hospital for a follow-up exam March 10 and reported that his pain was worsening. He was admitted, placed under intensive care and died Sunday afternoon.
Ramirez tells the Amarillo Globe-News, "We're not sure exactly what happened."
A funeral was scheduled for March 20.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 292 Comments
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 141 Comments
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos