Dog swallows 111 pennies, saved by vet
This undated image provided by BluePearl Veterinary Partners shows the Jack Russell terrier named Jack that swallowed 111 pennies. / AP Photo/BluePearl Veterinary Partners
NEW YORK A New York City dog has undergone emergency surgery to remove more than 100 pennies from his stomach.
The New York Daily News reports that a Jack Russell terrier named Jack swallowed 111 pennies last week and quickly became ill.
The 13-year-old pooch's owner rushed him to a Manhattan veterinarian for emergency surgery.
That's when dog doctors put Jack under anesthesia and methodically removed all 111 coins. The zinc from the coins could be lethal.
The dog's owner told the newspaper his best friend is back to his normal self, driving him crazy.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Massive tornado hits Okla. 60 Photos
- Mile-wide tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Children rescued from elementary school in Okla. 11 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado carves trail of destruction Play Video
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado
- Severe tornado tears through Oklahoma City suburb Play Video
- Another tornado touches down near Oklahoma City
- Record Fla. Powerball winner can't remain anonymous