Baltimore gynecologist used camera hidden in pen to film patients
BALTIMORE More details have emerged from the investigation into Dr. Nikita Levy, the Johns Hopkins gynecologist accused of secretly recording his patients.
As forensic investigators sift through computer servers and hard drives for images they believe Levy captured inside exam rooms, CBS Baltimore reports that there could be more than 1,000 victims involved in the case.
Authorities believe that Levy used a camera hidden inside a pen to secretly record his patients. The recordings from such cameras are clear and can be easily stored on a small SD card and transferred to a computer.
- Lawsuits piling up over Baltimore gynecologist who filmed patients
- Doctor who secretly filmed patients in exam room apologized to wife in suicide note
- Police worry gynecologist Dr. Nikita Levy filmed underage patients
One stunned former patient, Tera Johnson, recalls recommending Dr. Levy to friends.
"He was kind, a professional," Johnson said. "But I guess behind closed doors, you never know what's going on."
The director of a non-profit Baltimore counseling center said they have been receiving calls from out of state. The scandal is so widespread that the center plans to start group therapy sessions specifically for Dr. Levy's alleged victims.
Levy's Maryland Board of Physicians profile shows no red flags-no previous disciplinary action, malpractice judgments or convictions for moral crimes.
In addition to the East Baltimore Medical Center, Dr. Levy also reportedly treated patients at the an outpatient center, which is also part of the Hopkins system.
Suspicions about Levy only surfaced about three weeks ago when a co-worker alerted security about his alleged misconduct.
Levy committed suicide in his Baltimore home in the early stages of the investigation.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 140 Comments
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 330 Comments
- Texas flooding turns deadly
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York