From the archives: The real Tony Mendez talks about "Argo"
Ben Affleck's film about the 1979 Iran hostage crisis, "Argo," won best picture at the 85th Academy Awards Sunday night. Although the movie is a fictional adaptation of a book and magazine article about the historical event, it's based on the very real rescue of six U.S. diplomats from Tehran
Years ago, CBS correspondent David Martin spoke with Tony Mendez, the CIA agent Ben Affleck's character portrayed. Mendez spoke the first time publicly of the "Canadian Caper," his plan to give the diplomats fake identities as filmmakers to sneak them out of the country.
Above is the video of that original report.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Long Island police defend Hofstra student killing 292 Comments
- Officials confirm there's only 1 winning Powerball ticket
- Small Fla. town wonders who the Powerball winner is
- Allegedly random murder, "hate crime," stuns NYC
- Powerful thunderstorms rumble through hard-hit Midwest
- Winning tickets sought in $588M Powerball jackpot
- Could cop have avoided accidentally killing NY student? 71 Comments
- The War in Chicago