Controversial new licenses for illegal immigrants to be issued in North Carolina
RALEIGH, N.C. A new North Carolina driver's license set to be issued to some illegal immigrants has a bright pink stripe and the bold words "NO LAWFUL STATUS," raising concerns about whether the design will stigmatize those who show it.
The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles announced last week they would begin issuing the licenses in March following a lengthy legal review.
- White House's immigration reform draft leak causes uproar
- Obama: I'll sign immigration reform bill "right away"
- Cantor signals shift on immigration, backs Dream Act principles
The Obama administration's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program grants valid federal work permits to qualifying applicants brought to the U.S. as children without legal authorization.
Meanwhile, conservative lawmakers filed a bill Thursday to bar the DMV from granting the licenses next month, saying the issue needs more scrutiny.
Sponsoring Rep. Mark Brody (R-Union) says President Barack Obama's executive order creating the new immigration program violates the Constitution.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders
- Brigadier general suspended over altercation with woman
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado