Survivor of N.J. car crash killed crossing lanes
KENILWORTH, N.J. A 21-year-old southern New Jersey man survived a crash on the Garden State Parkway early Monday, only to be killed as he tried to cross several lanes of the busy highway afterward.
State police tell The Star Ledger of Newark that Luis Sarmiento, of Riverside, was found dead in the left southbound lane of the Parkway in Kenilworth around 12:45 a.m.
State police spokesman Sgt. Adam Grossman says the victim was struck by two vehicles. A preliminary investigation shows Sarmiento left his car shortly after the accident and climbed over the center median to try to run across the southbound lanes.
Authorities spoke to the drivers of the vehicles that hit him, but no charges were immediately filed. The case remains under investigation.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado victim search efforts winding down
- Children rescued from two elementary schools in Oklahoma 19 Photos
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Brigadier general suspended over altercation with woman
- Twisters touch down in the Midwest 13 Photos