Baltimore police trainee is shot during training
OWINGS MILLS, Md. Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts has suspended some training academy staff after a campus police trainee was shot in the head by an instructor on Tuesday. That trainee is now fighting to survive.
CBS Baltimore affiliate WJZ reports that one of the officers at the training exercise put his service weapon back on before going to lunch. When he returned from lunch, he did not switch out his service weapon with the simulation training weapon that they are supposed to use.
The details of the shooting are unclear. Investigators have only said that the trainee was taking part in a city police training exercise when he was somehow shot in the head with live ammunition by a city police training instructor.
The news outraged Baltimore's mayor.
"There's no acceptable explanation why live rounds were used during a training exercise. I was so angry. I was almost speechless," said Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 100 Comments
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old
- Serena Williams sorry for "what I supposedly said" on rape
- TWA Flight 800 disaster - a look back 19 Photos