Couple: "Calm" Christopher Dorner tied us up in our condo
LOS ANGELES A California couple says fugitive ex-police officer Christopher Dorner tied them up in their mountain condominium and stole their car before the firefight that led to his presumed death.
Karen and Jim Reynolds said at a news conference Wednesday that they came upon Dorner when they entered the condo in Big Bear, Calif. Tuesday, and believe he'd been there as early as Friday.
- Sheriff: Fire in cabin wasn't set intentionally
- Calif. deputy slain in ex-cop shootout was father of two
- Carjacking victim: Christopher Dorner told me "I don't want to hurt you"
They say Dorner had a gun but said he wouldn't hurt them.
SoCal breathing easier after deadly standoff
CBS Los Angeles station KCBS-TV reports Karen said, "He talked to us. Tried to calm us down. And saying very frequently he would not kill us."
"He was very calm and very methodical," said Karen.
Authorities couldn't immediately verify their story, but it matched early reports from law enforcement officials. Later reports said the incident involved two women from a cleaning crew.
Ex-LAPD cop accused of going on killing spree
The Reynolds said they went to the cabin noon to clean it for rental purposes, and that's when they -- and not two cleaning ladies as had been reported - met up with Dorner, KCBS says.
The Reynolds say he tied their arms and put pillowcases over their heads before fleeing in their Nissan.
Karen Reynolds managed to get to her cell phone and dial 911.
The couple, who said Dorner had his gun drawn the entire time, said they were with the suspect for 15 minutes, KCBS adds. "It felt like a lot longer," said Karen. "I really thought that it was the end."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 136 Comments
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 328 Comments
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Sandy-shocked Jersey Shore seeks summer comeback