U.S. orders shutdown of bus company in Calif. crash
In this Feb. 4, 2013 file photo, investigators work the scene where a tour bus collided with a pickup truck on Highway 38 north of Yucaipa, Calif., killing eight people. / File,AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu
LOS ANGELES Federal regulators on Friday ordered a tour bus operator involved in a Southern California crash that killed eight people to immediately stop operating because its buses weren't properly maintained or inspected and its drivers weren't properly vetted for qualifications.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration said in a statement that it ordered all three buses operated by National City, Calif.-based Scapadas Magicas LLC in the U.S. to stop operating because they pose an imminent hazard to public safety.
The roadworthiness of the 1996 bus involved in the Feb. 3 crash has been in doubt after the driver said the brakes failed before it smashed into a sedan, flipped, slammed into a pickup and crashed on a road in the San Bernardino Mountains east of Los Angeles. The bus was carrying 38 people, including the driver and a tour guide, to Tijuana, Mexico.
Regulators said Friday that a post-crash investigation of the company's two other buses that had been operating in the U.S. found serious mechanical safety violations.
Inspectors said the company failed to have its vehicles regularly inspected before the deadly crash. When the buses were inspected, there were many violations, including multiple brake problems.
Vehicle maintenance violations were cited during 21 of Scapadas Magicas' 25 most recent vehicle inspections, and vehicles had to be placed out of service after 36 percent of the inspections, according to the order to cease operations.
In a January 2013 compliance review conducted by transportation regulators, breakdowns were identified in the company's safety management systems, but "Scapadas Magicas failed to take necessary action to remedy its safety management deficiencies," the order said.
Calls to Scapadas Magicas' offices seeking comment Friday night were unsuccessful.
Popular on CBSNews.com
Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project New York City's Second Ave. subway was first conceived almost a century ago and when it is completed, it will extend all the way down the eastern side of Manhattan with 16 new stations. CBS News' Don Dahler reports on one of the most challenging public works projects in the country.
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- Report: U.S. teacher training an "industry of mediocrity"
- Girl who lost feet in lawnmower gets prosthetics
- Tornado briefly touches down on Denver airport runways
- FAA approval sought for 650-foot-tall Vegas thrill ride
- Day care worker accused of drugging snacks for nap-time
- Report: Pregnant workers face routine discrimination
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old