Missing Air Force pilot Lucas Gruenther's body found in Adriatic Sea, family says
U.S. Air Force Capt. Lucas Gruenther is seen in this 2003 picture released by the U.S. Air Force Academy. / AP Photo/U.S. Air Force Academy
ROME The body of a U.S. Air Force pilot whose F-16 fighter jet went missing Monday during a nighttime training mission has been found in the Adriatic Sea.
The family of Capt. Lucas Gruenther said his body was found on Thursday afternoon.
Italian rescue teams were joined by F-16s in the search for Gruenther, and earlier in the week recovered debris believed to belong to his aircraft.
In a statement, the Gruenther family thanked "the many people who volunteered their time and resources to help bring Luc home."
Gruenther was with the 31st Fighter Wing, based at Aviano Air Base in Italy. The Air Force declined to give his age.
The Modesto (Calif.) Bee newspaper has reported that Gruenther is from Twain Harte, California.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 95 Comments
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 318 Comments
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos 134 Comments