Driver fatally shot aboard Alabama school bus
Updated 10:44 PM ET
MIDLAND CITY, Ala. Authorities in Alabama say a man boarded a school bus, shot the driver several times, then removed a 6-year-old passenger and ran.
The Dale County Sheriff tells WBMA-TV that the man shot the driver Tuesday after he refused to let the child off the bus. The bus driver later died of his wounds. His identity has not been released.
Authorities say the shooter took the child to an area behind a nearby church, and police were negotiating with him.
Midland City police would not comment, and a call to the Dale City Sheriff's office was not answered Tuesday.
Rachel David is a spokeswoman for the police department in the nearby town of Dothan. She said authorities from multiple agencies were on the scene late Tuesday but gave no other information.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Brigadier general suspended over altercation with woman
- Triple homicide focus of questioning before FBI shooting
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado