Driver fatally shot aboard Alabama school bus
Updated 10:44 PM ET
MIDLAND CITY, Ala. Authorities in Alabama say a man boarded a school bus, shot the driver several times, then removed a 6-year-old passenger and ran.
The Dale County Sheriff tells WBMA-TV that the man shot the driver Tuesday after he refused to let the child off the bus. The bus driver later died of his wounds. His identity has not been released.
Authorities say the shooter took the child to an area behind a nearby church, and police were negotiating with him.
Midland City police would not comment, and a call to the Dale City Sheriff's office was not answered Tuesday.
Rachel David is a spokeswoman for the police department in the nearby town of Dothan. She said authorities from multiple agencies were on the scene late Tuesday but gave no other information.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Powerball frenzy locks down most possible number combos
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains collide
- O.J. Simpson's ex-lawyer contradicts his testimony on guns
- Crash in small Va. town injures dozens during parade
- Seven-time lottery winner shares secret to winning Powerball
- Texas tornado survivors start to return home
- Why marry? Three generations tell their wedding stories
- New Yorker's Strongbox: Can it shield anonymous sources?