Texas boy dies after little brother buries him in sand pit
Police in Bexar County, Texas, say a 7-year-old boy died Friday after his little brother buried him alive in a sand pit, CBS Houston affiliate KABB-TV reports.
Bexar County Sheriff spokesman Paul Berry said younger boy, 5-year-old Logan McDaniel, ran to his father for help after he couldn't get his brother, Wyatt, out of the four-foot sand pit at his family's horse farm.
The father, Charles McDaniel, pulled his son out of the pit immediately and gave him CPR. Wyatt died later at University Hospital after going into cardiac arrest, KABB-TV reports.
"No one actually saw it," Berry told the San Antonio Express-News. "Clearly there was an accident with sand. And it appeared as if he suffocated, but that needs to be determined by the medical examiner."
A family friend told the paper the brothers were "best friends" and "inseparable," and worried how Logan would handle the incident.
The Bexar County Sheriff's Office and Child Protective Services are investigating the incident. A vigil was held for Wyatt at Wilderness Oak Elementary School on Sunday.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 318 Comments
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos 135 Comments