"Barney" co-creator's son allegedly shot neighbor
#941584: Baby Bop, Barney, Riff and BJ (l-r) from tv series "Barney and Friends", photo on black / AP Graphics
MALIBU, Calif. Authorities say the son of a co-creator of the long-running children's show "Barney and Friends" has been accused of shooting his Malibu neighbor over an ongoing dispute.
Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said Thursday that Patrick Leach fled by car and was arrested a couple miles away, minutes after authorities arrived on the scene of the Jan. 9 shooting.
The 27-year-old Leach is the son of Sheryl Leach, co-creator of the popular PBS show about a purple dinosaur who plays and sings with children. He was released on $1 million bail.
Whitmore declined to discuss the dispute between Leach and the neighbor. He says the neighbor was shot in the chest with a.45-caliber gun and was in critical condition but is expected to recover.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- 1 winning ticket sold in Fla. on Powerball
- Powerball frenzy locks down most possible number combos
- Crash in small Va. town injures dozens during parade
- Authorities: N.Y. college student was killed by police 47 Comments
- The War in Chicago
- Seven-time lottery winner shares secret to winning Powerball
- Texas tornado survivors start to return home
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Conn. train crash