New anti-Muslim ads up in NYC subway stations
NEW YORK The group that equated Muslim radicals with savages in advertisements last year has put up another set of provocative ads in dozens of New York City subway stations.
The American Freedom Defense Initiative purchased space next to 228 clocks in 39 stations for ads with an image of the burning World Trade Center and a quote attributed to the Quran saying, "Soon shall we cast terror into the hearts of the unbelievers."
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority said the ads went up Monday and will run for a month.
The same group paid for ads to be displayed in 10 stations in September. Those ads implied enemies of Israel are "savages."
The MTA also sold space last year to competing advertisements that urged tolerance.
The American Freedom Defense Initiative was co-founded by conservative firebrand Pamela Geller, reports CBS New York station WCBS-TV, which notes she spoke to CBS New York radio station WCBS in December about the earlier ads.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Children rescued from two elementary schools in Oklahoma 19 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado victim search efforts winding down
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado recovery grinds on amid grim scenes 178 Comments
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Twisters touch down in the Midwest 13 Photos