Police: Body of missing teen found in NJ lake
This pictures shows a search for two missing teens in Budd Lake in New Jersey, Jan. 8, 2013. / CBS/WCBS
Updated 5:37 PM ET
MOUNT OLIVE, N.J. The body of one of two missing teenage boys has been recovered from an icy lake in northern New Jersey.
A State Police spokesman says divers discovered the body Tuesday afternoon in Budd Lake in Mount Olive Township. The effort had switched from a search to a recovery mission earlier in the day.
Search teams continue to search for the second teen.
Speaking at a news conference, Mount Olive Mayor Robert Greenbaum said the entire town is grieving with the two families.
Police received reports of screams for help coming from the lake around 6:20 p.m. Monday. Acting Morris County Prosecutor Fredric Knapp said two residents went out on a boat, but failed to find anyone.
Rescuers searched Monday night before the search was suspended and resumed Tuesday.
Clyde Schimanski, the father of one of the boys, told WCBS reporter Sean Adams that he thinks his son, Clyde III, and the other boy were on their bikes: "There were people saying Clyde was out there and he seen the kid go through the ice and Clyde went to save him on his bicycle and then they both went in. And then people from the shore heard them screaming."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Small Fla. town wonders who the Powerball winner is
- Long Island police defend Hofstra student killing 310 Comments
- Officials confirm there's only 1 winning Powerball ticket
- Could cop have avoided accidentally killing NY student? 89 Comments
- Allegedly random murder, "hate crime," stuns NYC
- Deadly twisters tear through Midwest
- Winning tickets sought in $588M Powerball jackpot
- FBI Agent Killed In Robbery Play Video