Police: Sen. Rand Paul's teenage son arrested
This undated photo provided by Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department via WCNC TV shows 19-year-old William Hilton Paul / (AP Photo/Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department via WCNC TV
Last Updated 7:13 a.m. ET
Police said Sen. Rand Paul's son was arrested after a flight from Kentucky to North Carolina.
Nineteen-year-old William Hilton Paul was arrested Saturday morning at Charlotte Douglas International Airport and charged with alcohol-related offenses.
The Charlotte Observer quotes Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Lt. Blake Hollar as saying it's possible Paul was served alcohol on the flight from Lexington, Ky., to Charlotte.
When the plane landed shortly before 11 a.m., the son of the Republican senator from Kentucky (and grandson of former presidential candidate Ron Paul) was charged with consuming beer/wine underage, disorderly conduct and being intoxicated and disruptive.
Paul was taken and booked into the Mecklenburg County Jail.
CBS affiliate WBTV in Charlotte, N.C., reports that Paul told officials at the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's office he is the son of Sen. Paul.
In a brief statement, Sen. Paul's office said, "As many parents with teenagers would understand," the family requested their privacy be respected "in a situation such as this."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 112 Comments
- Serena Williams sorry for "what I supposedly said" on rape
- TWA Flight 800 disaster - a look back 19 Photos
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb
- 3 football players charged in Naval Academy rape case
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- FBI finds possible remains at gangster's NYC home