Police: Sen. Rand Paul's teenage son arrested
This undated photo provided by Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department via WCNC TV shows 19-year-old William Hilton Paul / (AP Photo/Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department via WCNC TV
Last Updated 7:13 a.m. ET
Police said Sen. Rand Paul's son was arrested after a flight from Kentucky to North Carolina.
Nineteen-year-old William Hilton Paul was arrested Saturday morning at Charlotte Douglas International Airport and charged with alcohol-related offenses.
The Charlotte Observer quotes Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Lt. Blake Hollar as saying it's possible Paul was served alcohol on the flight from Lexington, Ky., to Charlotte.
When the plane landed shortly before 11 a.m., the son of the Republican senator from Kentucky (and grandson of former presidential candidate Ron Paul) was charged with consuming beer/wine underage, disorderly conduct and being intoxicated and disruptive.
Paul was taken and booked into the Mecklenburg County Jail.
CBS affiliate WBTV in Charlotte, N.C., reports that Paul told officials at the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's office he is the son of Sen. Paul.
In a brief statement, Sen. Paul's office said, "As many parents with teenagers would understand," the family requested their privacy be respected "in a situation such as this."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Victims of deadly Oklahoma tornado 6 Photos
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders 159 Comments
- Minn. park landslide leaves 1 child dead, 1 missing
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Boy Scouts to vote on allowing openly gay members
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Hard recovery in store after Okla. tornado's devastation