Maryland girl critical from bullet shot in air on New Year's Eve
The neighborhood in Elkton, Md., where a 10-year-old girl was shot during celebratory gunfire on New Year's Eve. / WJZ
New Year's Eve partying took a heartbreaking turn when a 10-year-old got caught in celebratory gunfire in Maryland.
CBS Baltimore affiliate WJZ reports the girl is on life support after getting shot in the head in Elkton after someone fired a gun into the air at midnight.
Lt. Michael Holmes told WJZ the girl was visiting from Pennsylvania and watching the fireworks with her family.
"There was numerous shots fired in the area. After speaking to witnesses, a shot was fired in the air and a bullet came down and struck the child in the head, causing the head trauma," Holmes said.
Neighbors say they heard the boom from the fireworks that night, but now wonder if any of the loud noises were actually gunfire.
Investigators are still looking for the person who fired the stray bullet and are canvassing the neighborhood, police said.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 280 Comments
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 141 Comments
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Earthquake, multiple aftershocks jolt Californians
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado