2 killed, 2 injured in Calif. bus bench crash
RIVERSIDE, Calif. Two people were killed and two others were severely injured Friday after a car plowed into a bus bench in the Southern California city of Riverside, according to police.
The four-door sedan crashed into a light pole before smashing into the bus stop bench, hitting four people who were waiting for a bus, said Officer Bryan Galbreath.
A woman and a girl were pronounced dead at the scene. A man and a woman were taken to Riverside Community Hospital with severe injuries. No names have been released.
Galbreath said the driver has been detained.
He told the Riverside Press-Enterprise there were no skid marks leading to the bus stop and neither speed nor intoxication immediately appeared to be a factor in the crash. Galbreath said police are investigating whether the driver was intoxicated.
Riverside is about 55 miles east of Los Angeles.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Children rescued from two elementary schools in Oklahoma 19 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado victim search efforts winding down
- Twisters touch down in the Midwest 13 Photos
- Brigadier general suspended over altercation with woman
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video