Autopsy: Gunman in N.Y. firefighter ambush killed self
Four volunteer firefighters were targeted by a gunman while responding to a house fire in Webster, N.Y.
Police say an autopsy shows the U.S. gunman who lured two firefighters to their deaths died of a self-inflicted shot to the head and wasn't hit by return fire from a police officer.
Last words of Webster gunman
Cops: NY ex-con gunned down firefighters
A positive identification of the body found in 62-year-old gunman William Spengler's burned house hasn't been made. Police believe it was his sister.
Police say autopsies Thursday show West Webster firefighter Michael Chiapperini died of a single gunshot and Tomasz Kaczowka died of two shots.
Spengler, who killed his grandmother in 1980, set his house in New York state on fire and ambushed the arriving firefighters just before dawn on Christmas Eve. He wounded two other firefighters and a police officer.
The two wounded men, Joseph Hofstetter and Theodore Scardino have been upgraded to satisfactory condition at Rochester's Strong Memorial Hospital.
The hospital released a statement from the firefighters saying they're "humbled and a bit overwhelmed" by the outpouring of well wishes and support for them and their families.
Investigators haven't yet said how the ex-convict got the weapons. He was barred from possessing them.
Popular on CBSNews.com
Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project New York City's Second Ave. subway was first conceived almost a century ago and when it is completed, it will extend all the way down the eastern side of Manhattan with 16 new stations. CBS News' Don Dahler reports on one of the most challenging public works projects in the country.
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- Google asks FISA court to lift gag order on NSA requests
- Girl who lost feet in lawnmower gets prosthetics
- Tornado briefly touches down on Denver airport runways
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old
- FAA approval sought for 650-foot-tall Vegas thrill ride
- Report: U.S. teacher training an "industry of mediocrity"
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base