Oldest of zoo gorillas turns 56 in central Ohio
This photo provided by the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium shows 56-year-old Colo posing for a photo as she celebrates her birthday, Saturday, Dec. 22, 2012, at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium in Columbus, Ohio. Colo is the oldest gorilla in any zoo. She was born at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium in 1956. / Grahm S. Jones,AP Photo/Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
COLUMBUS, Ohio The first gorilla born in a zoo is turning 56 and celebrating her birthday with some special treats at her central Ohio home.
The Association of Zoos and Aquariums says the female western lowland gorilla named Colo is the oldest gorilla in any zoo. She was born at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium in 1956.
The zoo marked Colo's birthday Saturday with a cake specially prepared for her and other gifts, including her favorite food, tomatoes. The zoo included guests in the fun by having them sing "Happy Birthday."
Colo is a mother of three. Her family tree includes more than two dozen descendants living at zoos across the country.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 122 Comments
- Bridge section disappears in "big puff of dust"
- Washington state bridge collapses 17 Photos
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 502 Comments
- Kansas reporters run for tornado shelter during newscast
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Kids, teachers from destroyed Okla. school reunite
- Shelton, Underwood coming to aid of Oklahomans