Pentagon's top intel official being probed
WASHINGTON The Pentagon says its top intelligence official, who has been mentioned as a possible candidate to be the next CIA director, is under investigation in connection with information he provided to makers of a movie about the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said Tuesday evening that the investigation of Michael Vickers is being conducted by the Pentagon's inspector general.
Vickers is the undersecretary of defense for intelligence.
Little said Vickers only provided unclassified information to the makers of the movie "Zero Dark Thirty," and that the session was arranged in July 2011 by the Pentagon's office of public affairs.
Little said Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has full confidence in Vickers.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 110 Comments
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb
- Serena Williams sorry for "what I supposedly said" on rape
- TWA Flight 800 disaster - a look back 19 Photos
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- 3 football players charged in Naval Academy rape case
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old