Medical helicopter crash kills 3 in Illinois: FAA
ROCKFORD, Ill. Authorities say a medical helicopter has crashed in northern Illinois, killing all three people on board.
The Federal Aviation Administration reports the helicopter crashed Monday night while traveling from Rockford, near the Wisconsin border, to a hospital about 60 miles south, in Mendota.
The helicopter was registered to Rockford Memorial Hospital. Hospital spokeswoman Laura Maher says no patients were on board when the helicopter crashed around 8:30 p.m. into a field in Rochelle, about midway between the two cities.
Maher didn't immediately have information about the flight crew, but says crews generally consist of two nurses and a pilot.
The FAA says the helicopter was destroyed and all three people on board were killed.
Rockford is about 80 miles northwest of Chicago.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- O.J. Simpson's ex-lawyer contradicts his testimony on guns
- Dozens injured as commuter trains collide in Conn.
- Lives lost: Suburban fatal heroin overdoses 19 Photos
- Powerball jackpot at $600 million -- and climbing
- Seven-time lottery winner shares secret to winning Powerball
- Tornadoes rip through northern Texas 17 Photos
- Why marry? Three generations tell their wedding stories
- 7 Texans missing after tornadoes found safe; death toll remains at 6