Man killed execution-style in Midtown Manhattan
Police are looking for a gunman who shot and killed a man in broad daylight in midtown Manhattan, CBS New York affiliate WCBS reports.
Authorities says a 31-year-old man was shot execution-style in the head just before 2.p.m. on 58th Street between Broadway and 7th Avenue, just outside Central Park and close to the busy shopping center of Columbus Center.
As the man walked down the street, the gunman walked up behind him, pulled a silver pistol, and fired a single shot into the back of his head in front of 202 W. 58th St. The gunman then got into a gray Lincoln MKV that was waiting for him and drove off, 1010 WINS' Al Jones reported.
"It was one shot, we all flinched. We all looked down the block. We didn't see nobody running from the scene. It was like the guy never existed," a witness told WCBS correspondent Dick Brennan. "Whoever did it got away clean."
Another witness also described the suddenness of the crime.
"No one saw the person that did it," the witness said. "Whoever did it ... he was a ghost."
The victim was pronounced dead on arrival at Roosevelt Hospital. Brennan, citing authorities, reported he is from Los Angeles and has a criminal record.
NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne told WCBS 880 that cops are looking for a male African-American with a black coat, hood and khaki pants.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 141 Comments
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Missouri train derailment 10 Photos
- Texas flooding turns deadly
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 330 Comments