Ohio man jailed for mocking disabled girl
CANTON, Ohio A northeast Ohio man caught on video apparently making fun of a young girl with cerebral palsy has been sentenced to a month in jail.
Canton Municipal Judge John A. Poulos ordered the maximum sentence for 43-year-old William Bailey, who pleaded no contest Tuesday to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing.
The (Canton) Repository reports that Bailey was caught on cellphone video at a school bus stop making fun of how the 10-year-old disabled girl walks. The video was then widely disseminated on the Internet and local TV news. Bailey denied he was mocking the girl, saying he was reacting to name-calling directed at his 9-year-old son.
Bailey apologized to the girl and her family in a statement Tuesday.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 228 Comments
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 137 Comments
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 1039 Comments
- Earthquake, multiple aftershocks jolt Californians
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos