Woman dies after dive boat capsizes off Fla. coast
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. One woman has died and another person has been hospitalized after a dive boat carrying 23 people was hit by a massive wave and capsized off Florida's Atlantic coast.
The Sun-Sentinel newspaper of Fort Lauderdale reports that the boat capsized early Thursday afternoon just outside Hillsboro Inlet.
The Broward County Sheriff's Office confirmed the woman's death.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman Sandra King said the boat's 21 divers and 2 crew members were heading back to the dock after a day of diving. She said rescue crews found the 45-foot-long catamaran "in pieces, upside down in the water." Lifeguards used wave runners to start rescuing passengers of the dive boat, identified as the Coral Princess and owned by South Florida Diving Headquarters. All aboard had been accounted for.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 116 Comments
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 324 Comments
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Sandy-shocked Jersey Shore seeks summer comeback