Woman dies after dive boat capsizes off Fla. coast
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. One woman has died and another person has been hospitalized after a dive boat carrying 23 people was hit by a massive wave and capsized off Florida's Atlantic coast.
The Sun-Sentinel newspaper of Fort Lauderdale reports that the boat capsized early Thursday afternoon just outside Hillsboro Inlet.
The Broward County Sheriff's Office confirmed the woman's death.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman Sandra King said the boat's 21 divers and 2 crew members were heading back to the dock after a day of diving. She said rescue crews found the 45-foot-long catamaran "in pieces, upside down in the water." Lifeguards used wave runners to start rescuing passengers of the dive boat, identified as the Coral Princess and owned by South Florida Diving Headquarters. All aboard had been accounted for.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Wave of tornadoes sweeps Midwest 13 Photos
- Deadly twisters tear through Oklahoma
- Could cop have avoided accidentally killing NY student? 117 Comments
- Firefighter killed in massive Dallas condo fire
- Long Island police defend Hofstra student killing 316 Comments
- Small Fla. town wonders who the Powerball winner is
- 2 FBI agents die in training accident off Virginia coast
- Deadly twisters tear through Midwest