Search for missing oil platform worker stopped
The deadly explosion occurred on a platform located in 56 feet of water about 20 miles southeast of Grand Isle, La. / CBS News
NEW ORLEANS The search for a worker who has been missing since an oil rig exploded off the Louisiana coast has been stopped, according to Black Elk Energy.
The worker has been missing since Friday's explosion and fire aboard an oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico.
Oil rig explosion off Louisiana coast
Oil platform explosion in the Gulf of Mexico
The missing crewman, Jerome Malagapo of the Philippines, was employed by Grand Isle Shipyard Inc., which had a contract with Black Elk to refurbish the platform.
The body of a second missing worker, 42-year-old Elroy Corporal, was found Saturday and turned over to the Jefferson Parish coroner, added the company, which said it is cooperating with investigators.
- Coast Guard: Body found near burned Gulf oil rig
- Search expands for worker missing after oil rig explosion
- 2 missing, 4 badly burned in Gulf platform fire
Black Elk is an independent oil and gas company headquartered in Houston, Texas. The company's website says it holds interests in properties in Texas and Louisiana waters, including 854 wells on 155 platforms. This particular platform was located in 56 feet of water about 20 miles southeast of Grand Isle, La.
The company said in a statement released Tuesday night that they would focus on the victims and their families, including those injured in the incident.
Twenty four people were on the production platform at the time of the explosion, and four workers who suffered burns during the platform fire are being treated at the Baton Rouge Medical Center. The Philippine Embassy in Washington has said all the workers are from the Philippines.
The cause of the explosion and fire aboard the platform is under investigation.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Small Fla. town wonders who the Powerball winner is
- Long Island police defend Hofstra student killing 310 Comments
- Officials confirm there's only 1 winning Powerball ticket
- Could cop have avoided accidentally killing NY student? 89 Comments
- Allegedly random murder, "hate crime," stuns NYC
- Deadly twisters tear through Midwest
- Winning tickets sought in $588M Powerball jackpot
- FBI Agent Killed In Robbery Play Video