Man with strange watch arrested at Oakland Airport
OAKLAND, Calif.Authorities say a Southern California man was arrested at Oakland International Airport after security officers found materials they say could be used to make a bomb.
Alameda County Sheriff's officials say 49-year-old Geoffrey McGann of Rancho Palos Verdes was taken into custody Thursday night. They say he tried to pass through airport security with an ornate watch that had switches, wires and fuses that could be used to make a timing device for a bomb.
Sgt. J.D. Nelson says the bomb squad arrived within five minutes and determined there were no explosive materials in the watch.
Nelson says McGann told officers he's an artist and claimed the watch is art.
McGann was taken to Santa Rita Jail where he was charged with possessing materials to make an explosive device.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Massive tornado hits Okla. 63 Photos
- Children rescued from elementary school in Okla. 11 Photos
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado 92 Comments
- Oklahoma tornado carves trail of destruction Play Video
- Severe tornado tears through Oklahoma City suburb Play Video
- 20 children among at least 51 left dead by Okla. tornado
- Mile-wide tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video