Police charge NYC nanny in stabbing death of kids
Yoselyn Ortega, 50, the nanny suspected of stabbing to death two young children in New York City / CBS News
NEW YORK New York City police say they've charged a nanny with murder in the stabbing deaths of two children last month.
Police finally could interview 50-year-old Yoselyn Ortega as she continues to recover from self-inflicted stab wounds. They charged her in her hospital bed Saturday night with two counts each of first- and second-degree murder.
Police say Ortega fatally stabbed 6-year-old Lucia Krim and her 2-year-old brother, Leo, on Oct. 25 in the children's Upper West Side apartment. She then stabbed herself.
A third sibling was with their mother when the killings happened. The mother returned home to discover her children dead and Ortega bleeding.
Ortega remains hospitalized under police guard
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Authorities find cause of Wash. bridge collapse 141 Comments
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 136 Comments
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 839 Comments
- Kansas reporters run for tornado shelter during newscast
- Shelton, Underwood coming to aid of Oklahomans
- Earthquake, multiple aftershocks jolt Californians
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos