Police arrest 1 in L.A. family shooting
A police officer stands outside a two-story home, right, where one person was found shot to death in Downey, Calif., Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012. / AP Photo/Nick Ut
DOWNEY, Calif. A suspect was arrested Friday in the killing of three people and wounding of two others at a family-owned fire extinguisher business and a relative's nearby home in suburban Los Angeles.
The man, whose name and age were not immediately released, had been detained and questioned Thursday after a stolen black Camaro was found in Los Angeles, about 20 miles north of suburban Downey, where the shooting occurred.
Police haven't given a motive but said they don't believe the killings were a random act of violence.
- Officials: At least 3 killed in Southern Calif. shooting
- Police detain one man, seek motive in LA family shooting
The three people killed were Josimar Rojas, 26, Irene Cardenas, 35, and Susana Perez-Ruelas, 34. The two injured were Perez-Ruelas' 13-year-old son and a middle-age woman.
The suspect had gone to the shop Wednesday after responding to an ad on Craigslist for the Camaro, said Martha Zerehi, a spokeswoman for the business.
Later, Perez-Ruelas arrived at the business with her son after picking him up at school for a dentist appointment. She may have seen the bodies of Rojas and Cardenas inside because she looked terrified when she walked out, Zerehi said.
The gunman grabbed the mother and son and took them to the family home down the street. The boy showed the gunman the keys to the Camaro and asked that he and his mom be left alone, Zerehi said.
But the man held a gun at the boy's head and asked, "'Do you know how easy it is to kill you right now?"' Zerehi said.
Perez-Ruelas pushed the gunman "really hard and out of rage, he killed her in front of the boy and then shot the boy," Zerehi said.
The boy played dead or unconscious and the gunman fled, she said.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 141 Comments
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Texas flooding turns deadly
- Missouri train derailment 10 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 330 Comments